Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Goldfish Named George...

We all have those movies... the ones we can watch over and over again without ever tiring of them. They may be films from when we were children or ones that bring back certain memories. Sometimes they are silly, poorly made or not the best films ever stuck on celluloid, but for us, they wear like an old pair of blue jeans... comfortable, warm and we know them inside and out.

For me... one of those films is Sabrina. I have watched it a hundred times, and will continue to until my DVD copy finally dies a premature death. (My old VHS copy was finally laid to rest a few years ago) Is it Audrey Hepburn's best film?... no... is the plot anything magnificent?...no...is it the most romantic story?....no... but all the same... It is a film near and dear to my heart.

I was maybe 13 when I first saw it. I remember renting a VHS copy from the store and being completely mesmerized from the moment pressed play. I watched it three times in a row that night alone. Hepburn in that gorgeous white dress, the song "Isn't it Romantic", and learning that cracking an egg is all in the wrist, I was in love.

I have a good friend who doesn't much like the movie... She can't get over the age difference between Hepburn and Bogart. It grosses her out. Maybe its because I adore Bogie, no matter his age, or because he looks so goofy in his college sweater.... who knows... maybe I just have a thing
for older men ;) But I find their romance sweet and think its something more genuine than what she had with Holden's character. I think this is something that my friend and I will always disagree on... but regardless... I still love it.

It would be hard to pick just one scene as my favorite... William Holden laying in a hammock with his bottom sticking out of a hole, "Bounce please, ladies", Bogart and Hepburn dancing on the tennis court, "We have no bananas today!"

Sabrina is one of those movies that I know backwards and forwards, inside and out, I can quote it in my sleep, watch it from start to finish with my eyes closed. There is just something about it that I find
enchanting each and every time I watch it.

"And if theres one thing I believe in, its love thy neighbor!"

No comments:

Post a Comment