Monday, January 31, 2011

The Eyes Have It!

I watched How to Steal a Million this weekend with Audrey Hepburn and a very young, very disarming Peter O'Toole. It is one of the few of Audrey's movies that I hadn't ever seen. I am not a big 60's cinema fan, so I tend to be a little hesitant of anything made during that period. Just chalk it up to ignorance. We all tend to be a little wary of things we aren't associated with... for me its films made after 1959. I am trying to get better.

I love that mask.. and I WANT those earrings!
How to Steal a Million is a movie about a girl trying to save her phony art creating father from ruin by stealing a counterfeit statue from the museum before it can be tested for authenticity. She gets a very handsome, witty, adorable, impish Peter O'Toole (masquerading as a thief) to help her. The two fall in love through the course of the film. I must say... Audrey had the best wardrobe in actress history... her clothes in this film are no exception (minus the frumpy floor scrubbing get-up) My favorite were her black tights and mask. She is always so put together and stylish! I want to die and be reborn Audrey Hepburn!

I've never watched a Peter O'Toole film knowingly. I have seen movies with him in them, but never with the intent of watching him. I was pleasantly surprised! He was extremly watchable, incredibly handsome and his chemistry with Audrey was unmistakable. His opening scene introduces him to the audience via his eyes peering over the frame of a painting... and I have to say... they are gorgeous... Him and Audrey's time huddled in the closet is incredibly entertaining... who wouldn't start kissing stuck in a closet together all night?

How can you not LOVE those leg huggers??
My favorite part is while they are "Casing the Joint". The two of them are walking through the museum and surrounding Paris grounds while O'Toole is forming a plan for how they will steal the statue. The two of them banter back and forth while sharing quick little jabs. O'Toole is staring at the statue and makes the observation that the statue and Audrey share a resemblence. Audrey remarks that she never dressed like that (the statue is nude) and O'Toole gives the statue and Audrey the once over. He does so in a very classy sophisticated way ;)

This movie has quickly dropped into my favorites list! It is funny without being cheesy, impractical but not annoyingly so, romantic buy not syrupy, its just flat out entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment